2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Persecution in the USA? Part IV: Response Through Passion



Over the last several posts I have discussed persecution in and of the Church.  During this series I have briefly demonstrated how faith in America is being attacked.  One only has to read the headlines of many news stories to see this simple truth.  (Consider and evaluate some of the articles at Christian Persecution in America.)  I have shown numerous scriptures both in the OT and NT that demonstrate persecution is promised and expected for believers.  Finally, in the last post, we cautiously discussed the purpose in persecution.  I now conclude this series with a discussion on what a believer is to do in light of all we have learned.

Passion Through Persecution

The Apostle Paul suffered for the Lord as Jesus had promised he would (Acts 9:16).  He was repeatedly beaten, stoned and left for dead, shipwrecked, repeatedly imprisoned (2 Cor 11:23-27), and historical church tradition would tell us that he ultimately was beheaded for his faith.  What is amazing to me is through all of his sufferings for sharing the Gospel, Paul could say, “besides the other things [his trials and tribulations], what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches (emphasis added).”  In Romans he proclaimed, “For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh (Rom 9:3).”    

Please grasp the passion Paul has for the Gospel, for sharing the truth, for proclaiming the One who said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the father except through me” (John 14:6).  Create the picture in your mind.  Paul is in chains in prison.  He is facing trial and possibly death  Yet, his deep daily concern is for the churches.  He proclaims that if he could he would chose for himself to be accursed, or separated from Christ, if it meant his fellow Jews would be saved through a knowledge of the Jesus Christ.  Do we have that deep passion for sharing the Gospel?   Do you have a fire inside of you that would call all of your friends and family to follow Jesus Christ?  Would you trade your salvation if it meant they could be saved?  This is what Paul was saying.  This is the challenge to which we are called after studying persecution in the church.     

How did Paul respond to persecution?  He continued to share the gospel!  He lived an intentional life for Christ as an example for others.  He told Timothy, “You have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longersuffering, love... (2 Tim 3:10, emphasis added).”  Can you tell other people to follow you as an example of a Christian, to follow your manner of life?  Do people know your purpose in life so that they could follow you?  KP Yohannan, founder and CEO of Gospel for Asia, drives the point home, “Interesting, isn’t it, how not just one or two examples but the whole lifestyle of a person portrays his purpose in life?  Everything in the life of a businessman whose goal is to become a millionaire - his conversations, his decisions, his opinions, the things he reads, the way he spends his time and all his plans - all demonstrate the purpose for which he lives.  So it is in the life of a servant of God.” (Against the Wind, p. 184)  Are you living your life in a way that others know your purpose in life, to spread the Gospel and make disciples?

I have been greatly challenged over the last several weeks as I have been studying the persecuted church.  I know the answer to many of those question for me is sadly “no.”  I know I have a more growth to do.  Yet, I rest in knowing that God has given me all I need to accomplish His will. 

In closing, I hope you will remember we as family in Christ are one body.  Parts of our body today are suffering great injury, pain, imprisonment, and horrendous human abuses that go ignored by governments around the world.  We cannot turn a blind eye to our suffering body.  Please take the time to learn about the persecuted church around the world and learn how to support our brethren.  Listed below are just a couple of the ministries serving the persecuted church.  
American Christianity has focused much on love of God, while ignoring many other biblical truths, including the fact that persecution of believers is expected and that we suffer together.  Let us not ignore these truths but teach them in our churches and to our youth.  The trivial cares of this world fade away when we unite in the sufferings of others.    

In Him, 
JS

No comments:

Post a Comment